The Indian government implemented the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-Dhan, a pension programme that provides old-age protection to unorganised sector workers. The programme went into effect on February 15, 2019.
PM-SYM is aimed toward unorganised sector workers such as rickshaw pullers, audio-visual workers, leather workers, washermen, domestic workers, rag pickers, cobblers, and brick kiln workers, head loaders, mid-day meal workers, street sellers, home-based workers, and others. On 7 February 2019, the Indian Government issued a notification outlining the eligibility requirements and rules for the PM-SYM pension programme.
PM-SYM will be a Central Sector Scheme supervised by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
The scheme will be implemented by Common Services Centres eGovernance Services India Limited (CSC SPV) and the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). The pension payment will be handled by LIC.
The Advantages of Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan
Individuals are eligible for the benefits listed below under the contributory and voluntary pension scheme:
- Individuals who participate in the scheme are entitled to a minimum pension of Rs.3,000 per month after they reach the age of 60.
- Family Pension: If the subscriber dies during the term of this pension programme, their spouse would receive 50% of the family pension that they were receiving under the scheme.
- Only the subscriber’s spouse is eligible for a family pension.
- If a subscriber who has been making monthly contributions to the plan dies before the age of 60 for any reason, their spouse has the choice of continuing the scheme by making regular contributions or exiting the scheme according to the stated terms and circumstances.
Process of Enrollment and Facilitation Centers
- Subscribers must have an Aadhaar number, a savings bank account, and an active mobile phone in order to participate in the service. Individuals must go to their nearest CSC SPV and enrol on a self-certification basis. To enrol in this service, subscribers must supply their Aadhaar card, mobile number, and bank account information. The first month’s contribution must be made in cash, and a receipt will be issued to validate the payment.
- All LIC branches, Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)/Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) offices, and Central and State Labour agencies will assist unorganised sector workers in understanding all of the scheme’s features and specifics.
Eligibility Criteria for Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-Dhan
The following are the eligibility requirements that an individual must meet in order to participate in the scheme:
- Individuals must be between the ages of 18 and 40 to apply.
- The individual’s monthly salary must be Rs.15,000 or less.
- Individuals should not be covered by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC), or the National Pension System (NPS) (NPS).
- The individual cannot be a taxpayer.
- Individuals must have a working mobile phone number, an Aadhaar number, and a savings bank account.