The Aadhaar card, a 12-digit unique identity number granted to all Indian residents, is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Residents obtain this number by giving biometric and demographic information at one of the government-approved Aadhaar Enrolment Centres or Aadhaar Seva Kendras (ASKs).
The goal of UIDAI distributing Aadhaar to Indian residents was to give them a document that may be used as unique identity verification for a variety of purposes. It is more than just a piece of identification. However, not only Indians are eligible to obtain an Aadhaar Card.
The following are the eligibility requirements for Aadhaar enrollment:
- The applicant is an Indian national who resides in India, or
- The applicant is a non-resident Indian who currently resides in India.
Locking, Unlocking and Disabling
Aadhaar has become one of the most trusted government documents, serving as both confirmations of identity and verification of address. The security of Aadhaar has recently been under fire, prompting UIDAI to enable the ability to lock/unlock Aadhaar biometric data online. This service is intended to assist customers in preventing their biometric information from being misused in any way. Many agencies ask applicants to validate their information using the Aadhaar biometric authentication facility.
Online, there are two ways to lock and unlock Aadhaar biometric data: through UIDAI’s portal and through the mAadhaar app, UIDAI’s official app. Both methods are sufficiently safe, and you can access them 24 hours a day, seven days a week to safeguard your Aadhaar biometrics.
Procedure of locking Aadhar card online
To secure biometrics online, do the following steps:
- Go to the UIDAI website and select “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” from the Aadhaar Services section.
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number, security code, and select Send OTP.
- An OTP will be delivered to your Aadhaar-registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP sent to your cell phone and click the Login button to lock your biometrics.
- Enter the four-digit security code displayed on the screen and press the “Enable” button.
- Your biometrics will be locked, and you will need to unlock them to use them again.
Procedure of unlocking Aadhar card online
You can also unlock biometrics. Click the “Login” button to unlock your biometrics.
- In the area provided, enter your Aadhaar number and the security code.
- Now, click the “Send OTP” option to have the OTP sent to the registered mobile number.
- Enter this OTP into the appropriate field and click the “Login” button.
- Enter the security code and click the “Unlock” button to temporarily unlock the biometrics.
Your biometrics will be temporarily unlocked for 10 minutes. The panel displays the locking date and time, after which the biometrics are automatically locked.
Procedure of disabling Aadhar card online
If you do not want a lock on your biometrics, you can disable it permanently. Disabling biometric locks is only possible through the web interface. Follow these easy steps:
- Log in to the UIDAI portal with your Aadhaar card to disable the lock.
- To access your account, enter your Aadhaar number and the security code.
- Type in the security code and press the “Disable” button.
Your Aadhaar biometrics will be permanently disabled until you unlock it.