PAN or permanent account number is an important document that is required to carry out certain tasks. Having said that, it is necessary to have a card that contains the unique 10 digit alphanumeric code which is issued by the Income Tax Department. An applicant can apply for the PAN card offline or online.
PAN Is not only a card that is necessary to file IT returns, it is also needed for several other reasons like opening a bank account, applying for a debit or credit card, applying for loans, starting FD, or for insurance payments. It is also used as a proof of identity and it is mandatory to furnish an initiating foreign exchange of currency. On top of this, it is essential to submit your pan card when you are selling or buying a car, property or even when you are purchasing jewellery.
Application procedure for existing customers
The process for existing customers to apply for an e-PAN is mentioned below as:
- Go to the official portal
- Fill in the details such as PAN, Aadhaar number, date of birth and captcha
- Check on submit
- An OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number
- Put in the OTP in order to download the e-PAN
In case an applicant wants to apply for a new PAN card, he or she will have to fill in Form 49A or 49AA depending on whether they are an Indian citizen or a foreign citizen. The steps for the application procedure are given below:
- Visit the official NSDL website’s online PAN application section
- Select your application type: for Indian citizens use Form 49A and for foreign citizens use Form 49AA
- Select your relevant category. The options are individual, Association of persons, body of individuals, limited liability partnerships, firm, trust, government, artificial judicial person, local authority and Hindu undivided family.
- Fill in the title, surname, first name, middle name, date of birth/ Incorporation/ formation in DD/MM/YYYY in format, mobile number, email ID and captcha code. Submit the form
- You will be directed to the next page where you will receive an acknowledgement with the token number. Click on ‘continue with PAN application form’ on this page
- you will then be directed to fill and more personal details that are similar to Form 49A or Form 49AA. Put in all the necessary information accordingly.
- Choose how you would like to submit the documents. you can either forward application documents physically, submit them digitally through Digital Signature or submit digitally through e-sign
- On the same page itself, you will have to indicate what documents will be submitted as proof of identity, residential address and date of birth.
- Confirm the declaration place and date of application. you must review and submit the form making sure you do not make any mistakes
- Click on ‘proceed’ and you will be taken to the payment options. Choose between a demand draught and online payment through Bill Desk.
- In case you have chosen a demand draft, you will be required to make a DD before you begin the application process, since you will have to provide the DD number, date of issue, amount, and the name of the bank from where DD uh is generated on the portal
- In case you choose Bill Desk, you can pay through debit card or credit cards or net banking
- Agree to the terms of service and proceed to pay. The application fees will vary based on whether you are sending documents separately or uploading online
- After using a Credit or debit card for paying you will receive an acknowledgement receipt and payment receipt. Print the acknowledgement receipt.