RTI stands for Right to Information and is seen as one of the elemental rights of a citizen. It is the duty of the government to maintain transparency and offer the people all the information they need to make informed decisions.
In order to apply for information, the RTI act suggests a simple procedure for obtaining information.
- Step 1: Writing an application mentioning the particulars of the information sought.
- Step 2: submitting the evidence of payment of the application fee along with the application
- Step 3: Send application to the concerned Public Information Officer / Assistance Public Information Officer.
With the digitisation of processes, the online application of RTI for certain departments is now available. Click here to know more.
Essential requirements for RTI application
Here are some essentials to bear in mind before the applicant applies for an RTI:
- The applicant should be a citizen of India
- The applicant should contain the particulars of Information sought
- The evidence of payment of application fee should be enclosed with the application
- The address of the applicant should be available for the concerned authorities to mark a reply to.
- An applicant who desires to obtain any information under the RTI Act can make a request through a Web portal to the Ministries or Departments of Government of India.
- In order to receive detailed information, one can pay using the following modes:
A. Internet banking
B. Credit or Debit card of Master or Visa
C. Using a RuPay card
While information is supposed to be free, it becomes important to pay the people in charge of offering information. Therefore, a nominal charge may be added to keep information-offering channels running smoothly.
Note: In order to maintain the privacy of the applicant, personal details except for those necessary for contacting the applicant are neither considered necessary nor can be called for by the PIO.
Benefits of RTI
Fundamentally, the Right to Information is a basic Human right. We live in an information age and having information is what helps us move forward with our endeavours with utmost clarity and assurance.
While the long term benefits of RTI are endless, here are some of the most tangible and evident benefits of RTI:
- Get to know your personal grievances
- Improve the situation around yourself and your family
- Solve long-pending issues of the society
- Make your elected representative accountable for services citizens are entitled to
- Make online social presence relevant and therefore useful
- Make connections with government officers for further guidance and assistance
- Establishes transparency in processes
RTI is an essential faction of one’s basic human rights. Information is invaluable, especially considering the fact that we are in the information age. With RTI being all the more accessible to people, they can not make more informed choices and lead better lives.
In a world that is so closely interconnected, it is vital to move forward with information. The information behind any procedure offers one peace of mind and benefits the applicant largely. With these points in mind, it becomes pivotal that all citizens are aware of processes.