e-Granthalaya is a digital platform developed by National Center for Informatics, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India for Automation and Networking of Government and Semi-Government Libraries.
The platform offers a complete ICT solution for library computerization with integrated library management software, a digital library module, a cloud hosting environment and a library portal (OPAC) with integrated NICSI implementation services and support. e-Granthalaya is helpful in transforming traditional libraries into e-libraries with digital library services and providing various online services to members through a one-stop access system.
eGranthalaya was started as an in-house project at ‘Karnataka State Centre of NIC, Bangalore’ and the first version of the software was designed for the Public Libraries in the State. Later, NIC HQs ‘Library and Information Services Division‘ took over the designing of the software where library professionals were involved in the designing process and, thus, improved the software with enhanced user interface and simplified the workflow of library functions so that it can suit all kinds of libraries.
Some of the salient features of the e-Granthalaya are:
- Cloud-Ready Application with Mass Deployment Architecture.
- You can connect any type of DBMS to PostgreSQL, an open-source DBMS, even if it’s hosted on NIC Cloud.
- The Multi-Tenant application connects multiple databases with Single-Signup across libraries.
- Well scalable with more virtual machines and other cloud resources.
- Well secured app with audit with well-written documentation.
- Supports multitasking, and can be opened in different browsers with many windows.
- Integration with MAIL/SMS/Smart Card/Barcode/RFID/AADHAR.
The organisations listed below are eligible to obtain the implementation of e-Granthalaya 4.0:
- Kendriya Vidyalayas and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas / MHRD
- Autonomous Bodies / Councils / Research Organizations / National Laboratories/IITs/IIMs/NIITs / PSUs of Centre and States
- Government Libraries under Ministries/Departments/Organizations of Central /State Governments
- Government Public Libraries
- Other Government Academic Institutions funded by Government
- Indian Army / Navy / Air Force Libraries
- Indian Embassies
However, the organisations that are not eligible are:
- Aided/Autonomous Institute/Colleges/Schools/Universities
- Private Institute/Colleges/Schools/Universities
e-Granthalaya 4.0 is a web-based application and can be run in any web browser. The application has already been installed on the NIC Cloud and is ready to use. To access e-Granthalaya you must follow the steps listed below:
- Visit the official website
- Select your library group from the drop-down menu and press the CONNECT button. The following screen will appear, allowing you to log into the application. If the captcha value is not visible, you can REFRESH to the page.